Glimpses,photos & experiences of a foreigner living in Slovenia, Ljubljana
The Church of St. Florian that stands on Gornji trg since 1660, has its present appearance due to Jože Plečnik ,who reconstructed it between 1933 and 1934 .He replaced the former door with with the statue of St. John Nepomuk carved by Francesco Robba in 1727, adding also an original portrait sculpture of a citizen of the Roman Emona, built into the wall above the terrace , next to the large fresco of Our Lady of Mercy above the church door, painted by Janez Potočnik at the end of the 18th century.
In this church is also the famous portrait of Our Lady of Sorrow, where the town people were running to at times of natural calamities and other misfortunes during old times, that can be admired on 15 of September when is the holiday of Our Lady of Sorrow.
Jože Plečnik has recreated this square by adding a pathway , that starts from Gorni trg– one of the smallest and cutest squares of Ljubljana till the Castle.
On the opposite side , not more then few hundreds meters , is The Church of St. James,built in 1615 , a beautiful monument of mature baroque in Ljubljana . In the church we come across the works of important Venetian and Padovan masters: Francesco Robba, Paolo and Giuseppe Groppellli, Franz Rotman, Angelo Putti and Jacopo Contieri .
Impressive is also the outside square, where Plečnik, in 1927,surrounded the square by a row of stone balls as the rosemary beads and added the greenery in its upper part, , moving in center of it a column, dedicated to the Virgin Mary,erected in 1682 to commemorate the Habsburg victory against the Ottoman Turks. This square with the church are connecting visually with the pyramid of Zois , over St James Bridge .