Glimpses,photos & experiences of a foreigner living in Slovenia, Ljubljana
Watching over the city is not only the Ljubljana Castle but also the Church of St. Joseph –Cerkev sv. Jožefa , situated in Poljane neighborhood, about 10 minutes away from Central Square ,watching over the town with it’s high steeple and impressing everyone with the beauty of the construction
The place has a special history ,in 1895 there was a devastating earthquake in Ljubljana. In order to prevent another misfortune the people of Ljubljana made a vow to gather every Easter. The liturgies were to be held in the St. Joseph’s church which was completed in 1914. Jesuits, who built the church, constructed also the Retreat House in vicinity. Many people profited from the spiritual help in the House, including Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli, who later became Pope John XXIII. In 1949 the church was confiscated by the Communist regime. The church was devastated and together with the Jesuit residence given to the State’s film industry. The Jesuits were expelled from the sight. The Retreat House was turned even into the Abortion Clinic for several years.In 1991 the Jesuits and the faithful made a request for their dispossessed church, the Jesuit residence and the Retreat House to be given back.On Easter Sunday 1996 the happy moment arrived. The church was filled up again by the faithful. Now back in the hands of the Church, renovation work is ongoing , but even from now we can admire the beautiful high altar created by Jože Plečnik,built in 1941.